World No Tobacco Day 2016
Make every day a smoking-free day
Research has proven that smoking is a leading cause of death. Cyprus is classified amongst the countries with the highest smoking rates in Europe. The findings are alarming for an island as small as Cyprus. Smoking is the cause of about 600 deaths each year, while the costs for the smoker who smokes a pack a day amounts to € 1,460 per year and € 14,600 per ten years, plus interest. The amount arises to € 87,600 for sixty years, plus interest. And all these per person. If we also calculate the cost that the State has to pay for the care of a smoker/cancer patient then the sum arises to millions.
THE NON-SMOKERS LEAGUE OF THE CYPRUS ANTI-CANCER SOCIETY
- Influence students to avoid even tasting tobacco. Now is the time to exert this influence, now that we have evidence that students start smoking at elementary school.
- Enlighten young men and women who have started smoking to stop.
- Arrange group sessions about the risks of firsthand or secondhand smoke in every School, Municipality and any Community.
- Collaborate with the services of the Ministries of Health, Education, Interior, the Parliament and all those interested in implementing the relevant legislation and promoting more stringent preventive measures.
We, the Non-Smokers League, work with volunteers, teachers, doctors, special scientists in all the districts of Cyprus. We can help you with ideas, suggestions and printed information materials at 22446222 or the District Offices of the Cyprus Anti-Cancer Society.
DO YOU WANT TO PREVENT?
- 90% of all lung cancers?
- 25% of all cancers?
- 75% of respiratory diseases and other diseases?
|Call 1431 for a specialist guide to quitting smoking|
DO YOU WANT TO PREVENT YOUR CHILDREN OR STUDENTS FROM SMOKING?
- Become role-models for them, as parents and teachers.
- Apply the smoking-ban legislation indoors and at home.
- Call us to help out with a program relevant to your situation and needs.
We can all contribute to preventing bad illnesses from smoking, if:
- We abide by the Laws.
- We are good role-models in regards to avoiding smoking.